The 2024 Strata Festival of New Music would like to invite composers to submit proposals to create a new 5 to 15 minute work for the 2024 Strata Festival.
The selected composers will be asked to write music for a jazz chamber ensemble: Saxophone, trumpet, trombone, guitar, keys, drums/percussion, and bass. This jazz chamber ensemble will accompany a Saskatchewan made video game, and will be performed live simultaneously with the game projected on screen and “performed” by a professional “gamer”.
The composed music could be incidental (changes in the game are not synchronized with changes in the music), semi-incidental (certain changes in the game are synchronized with the music), or fully synchronized. For the performance the drummer, conductor, and gamer will have click tracks.
The purpose of the Strata event is not to create a final score for the game. It is to:
1. Establish connections between Sask video game developers and composers.
2. To produce a fun, creative, and novel concert experience.
3. To delve into the compositional problems unique to video game design and storytelling.
Interested applicants should submit:
- A short explanation (maximum 250 words) on how your music will accompany the game, as well as the general approach to the project.
- One example representative of your work. Please include a score and audio recording (either live performance or computer simulated playback.)
- A short bio/resume/CV.
Send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15th 11:59pm 2023.
Three composers will be selected and notified by January 1st. PDF scores and parts need to be completed and sent by May 1st 2024. Selected composers will also receive:
- A commissioning fee of 1000$
- A professional performance of their music on Saturday June 15th 2024 during the Strata Festival and an archival recording of the performance.
- Access to the rehearsals.
- A week-end pass to all of the Strata Festival events and concerts.
Who can apply?
- Composers of all ages, skill levels, backgrounds, ethnicities, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Composers born in, educated, or currently residing in Saskatchewan.
For more information on our programming criteria please visit stratafest.com/about